- Song writer
- Giant slayer
- And... a "man after God's own heart"
'Perfect' is not in the list. At all. Ever.
So what made David great? What made him who he was and dubbed him 'after God's own heart'?
If you read about David in 1 Samuel you see 10 principles emerge by which we should all strive to live:
- Be faithful in the little things (not everything involves a giant)
- Lose your own dead weight (don't go through life carrying and compiling baggage)
- Be in awe of, be amazed by, and be consumed with the glory of God
- Be committed regardless of naysayers ('haters gonna hate' - ignore the criticism - listen to the voice of God so intently that you don't even hear the critics)
- Be happy right where you are, exactly where you are currently serving (bloom where you are planted)
- Always point to God, in everything you do, and be aware, in tune, and ready to share God's faithfulness as seen in your own life through the years
- Be comfortable and content with your gifts, your traits, your callings, your personality. God gave them to you. Just as he gave other ones to others that may or may not resemble yours. They can't do what God will do through you just as you can't do what God will do through them.
- Be confident in everyday trials. Life is an endurance race. 'Press on towards the goal' and be faithful in 'life'
- Be bold, be decisive, stand fast, stand firm, Shout out and live out your faith
- Be determined to experience daily victory over the giant standing in front of you - be it large or small, personal or communal (remember... wars are won by winning lots of small battles - achieve victory daily).